Kristin Roberts' Web Corner

CIS 145 Course Work
Appendix A Summary 

The very beginning of Appendix A took me back. We went over the different types of cables for connectivity. While we discussed the differences between the twisted pair cables (cat-1 to cat-7), the coaxial cable, and fiber optic cables; I thought back to when I was young. I recall patiently signing on AOL using dial up and listening to that staticky multipitch sound while I waited.
     I remember experiencing the internet through a coaxial cable for the first time. My parents had gotten a triple bundle package from Comcast. It was much smoother and faster. I would like to try a fiber optic connection one day, but that is not something that is available where I live for the time being.
     Finding out the internet essentially began because of defensive war measures was surprising. We went over the evolution of circuit-switching to packet switching, and how the government needed to be sure information was being carried out even in the event of losing a location along that information’s path. Packet-switching made me think of spy movies...information sent in pieces only to be deciphered upon arrival.
     Appendix A informed us the Federal Networking Council made the term “Internet” official in 1995. As a 1990’s kid, I remember not many computers being around when I was small…and then it seemed like suddenly there were computers everywhere. My sixth-grade year was my first experience having a computer class. 

{next}
{back to introduction}