Kristin Roberts' Web Corner

CIS 145 Course Work
Chapter 4 Summary 

Module 4 was about information resources. It’s a view into using the web to find information from different categories such as weather, employment sites, real estate, etc. In the latter half of the chapter, it covered copyrights, public domains, plagiarism, and the different elements of multimedia found on the web.
     I have used a fair number of the websites that Module 4 shared for finding specific weather, apartment, and employment information. I have used weather.gov many times to compare projected snowfall totals for my town against my local news station’s forecast. I appreciate the radar feature, because even same day projections change (weather is so hard to predict) so I like to get an hourly visual on what may pass over our region.
     I found a job using indeed.com, the employment site. I utilized the filter options to get local results within a 50-mile radius, I was looking for hospitality jobs focused in the restaurant industry. Then I sorted the results by distance. After applying through indeed I ultimately got a job at Beech Mountain Lakes. My last rental home was found through Zillow.com. Even though they predominantly focus on selling properties, you can filter options to show only rental options. I was specifically looking for a 3 bedroom home close to or in a specific town in Luzerne County that was also pet friendly. Just like the Module demonstrated. It was quite easy to filter by picking specific choices to find what I was looking for.
     When the topics of copyrights and public domains came up, I was thinking about another computer class. We were doing a class project to create a student profile form. For the gender selection section, we used a public domain to find images to help create our form. The images were free to use, and we did not break any copyright laws. We also included a link to the location of the image on the domain in our code comments. Plagiarism is a serious offence and most of my instructors past and present have stressed the importance of properly citing accurate resources you find typically using either APA or MLA formats, and that plagiarism in any way would warrant extreme consequences. My speech professor shared a story from the days of her college years. In her class, the star pupil who usually had the highest grades, was caught using someone else’s work as her own. The material from an old book she tried to plagiarize was one that her instructor knew well. That professor read everyone’s grades before saving the cheater for last and then announced to the entire class and her that she would be removed from the program that moment.
     In closing, I have used the C2C (consumer-to-consumer) form of E-commerce many times through eBay and Facebook marketplace. Both a seller and a buyer. My selling and shopping usually involve baby and toddler gear.

<<back | next>>
{back to introduction}