Kristin Roberts' Web Corner

CIS 145 Course Work
Chapter 5 Summary

Module 5 was about user generated content on the internet. It discussed the new Internet called web 2.0 which caters to user generated content. I also learned the differences between “Push” and “Pull” technologies. The Module also explores blogs, social hubs, online messaging types, and photo/video sharing websites.
     A pull technology I like to utilize at work is a podcast. When I bottle kombucha for work it is menial work and listening to a podcast really helps the time go faster. I am subscribed to New Heights. It is a video podcast hosted by the Kelce brothers that I listen to through YouTube, but they are available on multiple platforms too. New episodes drop every Wednesday during the football season.
     A push technology I used a lot was Facebook. I haven’t used it as much since Covid, but I do use Facebook messenger’s when I want to instant message someone I do not have a telephone number for. I was surprised to find out from Module 5 that Craigslist was an early online social network pioneer and started in 1995. I used Craigslist to find one of my very first apartments. The thought of using Craigslist to find an apartment today makes me laugh now because many of my colleagues joke that craigslist is shady these days.
     I have used LinkedIn Learning before to watch education coding videos but have yet to set up a business profile. I feel as I get closer to my goal of graduating, establishing an identity on LinkedIn may help me connect with others professionally and hopefully give me business opportunities in the future.
     I have heard the term lurking before. It is used to describe someone who is there in the chat room but doesn’t chat. My husband is sort of a discord chat lurker. Many of the streamers offer channel points to their viewers, and my husband usually leaves the feeds and chat run on the computer to get channel points while he does housework at the same time.
     When I think of instant messaging, although today we have so many instant messaging outlets, my first thought always goes to AIM (AOL Instant Messenger). That was the very first instant messaging service I ever used as a kid.
     Towards the end of the module there is a small section about watching what you say on social media. This is a very important insight the module shares. What you say on social media if inappropriate can have negative effects on your employment, relationships and even your future. We have seen in the media old Facebook or twitter posts being pulled up from years ago to shame celebrities for their opinions at the time. I personally worked with someone at the Casino who was fired after posting about an irate guest on their Facebook page. Remember to watch what you say and how you say it. What you think may be funny now may not be funny years down the road. Remember to be professional.

<<back | next>>
{back to introduction}