Kristin Roberts' Web Corner

CIS 145 Course Work
Chapter 1 Summary

In chapter 1 we focused on browser basics and the different but similar aspects of Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. I am familiar with and have used all three browsers. Edge is the default browser that comes with Windows 10 and 11. I personally prefer and am most comfortable with Chrome. I prefer Chrome’s default search engine setting being google, over Edge’s pairing with Bing. I have a theme on my Chrome browser that centers around a painting of the ‘Kite runner’ by Albulena Panduri which gives my tabs and address bar area different shades of tan and peach.
     Towards the end of the chapter, it discusses the different Private Browsing Modes. In Chrome it is called Incognito browsing. In my C# Coding class, Cengage MindTap has been giving myself, my instructor, and my peers some trouble since it changed over its Coding Lab procedures. Cengage support has suggested using either the Firefox browser or Chrome’s Incognito mode when having technical problems with the lab.
     Another topic the chapter covers is cookies. It is not a tasty treat, but a small text file that is saved on your hard drive from the web server. A first-party cookie comes from the website you are visiting whereas third-party cookies come from other companies. Mr. Weidner in class has shared his dismay over the constant pop ups asking the users to reject or accept cookies. Cookies can be good and if rejected could cause certain features on the webpage to not function properly. However, I personally like to reject advertising third-party cookies.
     We also went over bookmarks. I have had my other instructor Dr. Mark Choman for a couple classes now. So far with every class he suggests shows his students how to utilize bookmarks to their advantage. I currently have Blackboard Learn, Outlook, Cengage, and W3 schools as active bookmarks. I can get right to those sites with a simple click.
     I’ll close with one pet peeve I have when it comes to using tabs while browsing. While it is great to have multiple tabs open in one browser window, I feel once that number gets beyond ten it is chaotic to me. At work, the laptop in the office has over 20 tabs open at once and it stresses me out.

<<back | next>>
{back to introduction}